For the month of March, podcast hosts are encouraging listeners to introduce someone to podcast–and show them how to listen if they don’t know. You may have seen the hashtag #trypod floating around social media–we’re hoping to get more people to try podcasts!
Now, there are a lot of excellent podcasts out there, picking new ones can be daunting. So I thought I’d share a list of my current favorites. Here are five podcasts I’m listening to right now:
- Do By Friday – this is a weekly challenge show hosted by Merlin Mann, Alex Cox, and Max Temkin. Challenges range from “throw something away” to “make a vlog” and always pave the way for an interesting episode.
- High and Outside – a new baseball podcast! Interestingly, there aren’t a lot of dedicated baseball podcasts. I’m not the type of person to sit through people talking about pro sports I don’t care about (hint: this is most of them) so I was excited when this popped up in my recommendations.
- The West Wing Weekly – I’m a West Wing superfan, so this podcast was made for me. Hosted by Joshua Malina and Hrishikesh Hirway, this podcast is awesome–and the guests are amazing.
- You Must Remember This – a storytelling podcast about the secret and/or forgotten histories of Hollywood’s first century. This is a wonderful podcast–I highly recommend listening if you haven’t already. Stories of Marilyn Monroe and Joan Crawford and The Blacklist, it’s a well-researched and fascinating listen.
- This American Life – The one that started it all. I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention my favorite show of all time and introduced me to podcasts. Though technically a radio show, they do make recent episodes available as a podcast so I think it counts. I personally recommend getting their app (it’s how I listen). If you’re curious, my favorite episode is 476, “What Doesn’t Kill You”.
I hope you check some of these out if they appeal to you–and encourage your friends to try podcasts as well! Especially independently produced podcasts that ask for nothing except reviews (hint hint). Let me know what you’re listening to!